So what do the Sochi Olympics teach us?
1. If you build it poorly, your customers will do anything to break free of you. And then they will complain. Loudly. On social media.
3. Don’t make things so complicated that you forget the simple, important stuff
4. Don’t over-promise and under-deliver. For example, don’t promise “an Olympic experience that exceeds China” and then fail to provide clean running water or enough pillows.
5. Bureaucracy, committees and too many meetings are killers of productivity. If you want to get more done, involve less people.
6. Create positive advanced buzz (and a lot of it). In the absence of such positive buzz, negative buzz takes over, infests everything and grows out of control. Next thing you know, everyone is paranoid and nobody wants to visit, pay or watch.
7. Big egos tend to get exposed in ways that turn off your prospective audience